Most Popular


How to Manage Your Caregiving Duties

Independent Living expert Elinor Ginzler hosts an online chat and answers your pressing questions

Elinor Ginzler: First, my heart goes out to you and your family. You sure have your hands full. Here are several ideas.

First, make sure your employer knows about your situation and that you know about any benefits and policies that might help you. Be sure to read our article on balancing work and caregiving.

And one more idea — while you can't be there every day, you can still help. Tell your mom that you can make all the phone calls and handle lots of the paperwork. Those are things that don't need you there in person. And when you do go to visit, ask your mom what she'd like you to do. It could be take care of your dad or it could be take her to lunch.

Comment From Barbara: Is there a website where I can print out a medical power of attorney for California?

Elinor Ginzler: Thanks for asking, Barbara. Here's a link for a set of state-by-state forms. It's a great idea for all of us — no matter what our age  — to complete a medical power of attorney and to have it just in case.

Comment From John Quinn: My mother was an army nurse in the '50s. Does the VA take care of dementia vets?

Elinor Ginzler: VA offers some really good benefits. For example, at Jewish Council for the Aging's day center, we have several veterans who attend our center for stimulation and support while they deal with their dementia, and VA pays. Check with your local VA to find out what's available in your community.

Comment From Rosemary: I have been advised by a social worker to get a power of attorney for my parents. Are the forms on line reputable or is it better to see a lawyer? I have read that hospitals also have these forms.

Elinor Ginzler: It sounds like your social worker is asking you to plan ahead. What a great idea. Please know there are two kinds of powers of attorney. One related to medical decision making and one for financial issues. Both have your family member identifying an agent (you) to act on their behalf. Go here for the health care power of attorney. For other information on legal and financial matters, check out our resources.

Next: What other resources are available for caregivers? »

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

caregiving tools

Caregiving Locator Tool

Care Provider Tool

Find home health, assisted living, nursing home, hospice and adult day care near you. 

Long Term Care Cost Calculator

Long Term Care Calculator

This tool offers a state-by-state comparison of home health, hospice and assisted living costs. 

Visite el Centro de Recursos en Español

Learn More About
the campaign

Caregiving Resource Center - Find Resources