Think you know AARP? What you don't know about us may surprise you. Discover all the 'Real Possibilities'




AARP Real Possibilities
Car buying made easy with the AARP Auto Buying Program


Piggy bank on the road - AARP Driver Safety

Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!

Contests and

Dream Vacation Sweepstakes

10 weeks. 10 amazing trips. Seize your chance to win!
See official rules. 


ATM Mobile App for iPhone and Ipad

Enjoy the best of AARP’s award-winning publications

on the go with the new

AARP ePubs iPad App


AARP Games - Play Now!

AARP Books

Medicare for Dummies book cover

Get the answers you need, from Patricia Barry, AARP's Ask Ms. Medicare

Most Popular



share your Thoughts

Reader stories help us fine-tune our education efforts and strengthen our calls for action on issues that matter most to you. We read and learn from every story and may use yours (with permission) to brief legislators, inspire other readers and more. Please share your story with us. Do

Ask Ms. Medicare

I'm an American Citizen Living Overseas, What Should I Do About Medicare?

Q. I’m an American citizen living overseas and plan to continue working outside of the United States for a few more years. But I’ll be 65 soon, so what should I do about Medicare?

A. As long as you’re eligible for Medicare (having earned enough work credits), you can enroll in the program by going to the U.S. embassy or consulate of the nation where you’re living. (In the Philippines, contact the regional office of the U.S. Veterans Affairs agency.) But keep the following in mind:

Part A (hospital insurance): You can sign up for Part A during the seven-month enrollment period around your 65th birthday. You won’t be able to use Part A’s services outside of the United States, but it doesn’t cost you anything to enroll and there are no premiums to pay.

Part B (doctors and outpatient services): Here are the rules:

* If you have health coverage from your employer that is primary to Medicare, you need not enroll in Part B at this time.

* If you are volunteering abroad and have health coverage from your sponsoring organization, you will not need to enroll in Part B at this time. You are entitled to a special enrollment period to sign up for Part B on your return to the United States.

* If you don’t have coverage from an employer or voluntary service sponsor—or rely on the national health service of the country you’re living in—you have to decide between two options. You can sign up for Part B around the time you turn 65 and pay the required premiums, even though you will not be able to use its medical benefits outside of the United States. Or, you can delay joining Part B until you return to live in the United States and then pay a late penalty in the form of permanently higher premiums.

Part D (prescription drugs): You do not need to join Part D at this time. When you return to live permanently in the United States, you will not incur a late penalty as long as you begin receiving Part D drug coverage within 63 days of the date of your return. (Medicare policies for Part B and Part D differ on this point.)

Patricia Barry is a senior editor at the AARP Bulletin.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Medicare & Medicaid News

Discounts & Benefits

bring health To Life-Visual MD

AARP Bookstore

AARP Bookstore - woman reaches for book on bookshelf


Find titles on brain health, drug alternatives and losing weight. Do