Last Chance! We’re Giving Away $50,000! Enter Now. See Official Rules


AARP Staying Sharp: Keep Your Brain Healthy


The tablet with free 24/7 customer support. Learn More


Military and Veterans Discount


AARP’s Picture Your Retirement Sweepstakes

Enter the $50K Picture Your Retirement Sweepstakes. Ends 8/31/15. No purchase necessary. Enter for Official Rules.


AARP Games - Play Now!

AARP Books

Medicare for Dummies book cover

Get the answers you need, from Patricia Barry, AARP's Ask Ms. Medicare

Share Your Thoughts

Reader stories help us fine-tune our education efforts and strengthen our calls for action on issues that matter most to you. We read and learn from every story and may use yours (with permission) to brief legislators, inspire other readers and more. Please share your story with us. Do

Most Popular


Ask Ms. Medicare

Medicare When Working Beyond 65

Do you need to enroll in Part B if you have health insurance from an employer?

En español | Q. I am 65 and plan to keep working for some years. I have health insurance from my employer. Do I have to sign up for Medicare Part B now?

See also: Medicare starter kit. What you most need to know.

A. Probably not. In most cases, for as long as you have group health insurance provided by an employer for whom you are still working, you can delay enrolling in Part B, which covers doctors visits and other outpatient services and requires a monthly premium. When you eventually retire, or leave work, you'll be entitled to a special enrollment period of eight months to sign up for Part B without incurring a late penalty.

This also applies to most people who are covered beyond age 65 by insurance from the employer of their working spouse. It also applies to same-sex married couples, even those living in states that do not recognize same-sex marriage—for details, see a related article “Marital Status and Medicare Eligibility.”

But, there are some exceptions:

  • If the company or organization you or your spouse work for has fewer than 20 employees, the employer may require you to sign up for Part B when you turn 65.  If so, Medicare would become your primary coverage (meaning it pays bills first) and the employer coverage would be secondary.  In this case, you need to find out exactly how the employer plan will work with Medicare.

  • If you are in an unmarried domestic partnership (same sex or opposite sex) and receive health insurance under your partner’s employer plan, you don’t have the same right to delay Part B without penalty, except in two circumstances:

         o    You live in one of the few states that recognize common law
    marriage and your relationship falls within your state’s definition of common law marriage
          o    You are under 65 and have Medicare because of disability, your partner’s employer has 100 or more employees, and you’re accepted on the employer’s health plan as a “family member.”

Will I get the same health benefits at work as I get now?

By law, people who continue to work beyond age 65 still must be offered the same health insurance benefits (for themselves and their dependents) as younger people working for the same employer. So your employer cannot require you to take Medicare when you turn 65 or offer you a different kind of insurance — for example, by paying the premiums for Medicare supplemental insurance or a Medicare Advantage plan — as an inducement to enroll in Medicare and drop your employer plan. However, the law (known as ERISA) applies only to employers with 20 or more workers.  So if you work for a smaller business or organization, you may be required to enroll in Part B at age 65.

Do I need to do anything about Part B at age 65 if I continue to be insured at work?

It depends on whether you’re already receiving Social Security retirement benefits.  If you are, Social Security will automatically enroll you in Part A and Part B just before your 65th birthday.  The letter sent to you with your Medicare card explains your right to opt out of Part B if you have employer insurance.  To opt out, follow the instructions included in that letter within the specified deadline.

Should I still sign up for Medicare Part A?

With one exception (see next item), there's no reason not to enroll in Part A, which mainly covers hospital stays, around the time you turn 65 because if you contributed enough Medicare payroll taxes while working there are no premiums for Part A. If you didn’t contribute enough, you may qualify for premium-free Part A on the work record of your spouse (current, divorced or deceased).  Otherwise, you have the option of paying monthly premiums for Part A benefits.

You can sign up for Part A during your initial Medicare enrollment period, which runs for seven months, starting three months before the month of your 65th birthday and ending three months after that month. Just call Social Security, which handles Medicare enrollment, at 1-800-772-1213 and schedule an appointment for an interview, which can be done on the phone or at your local Social Security office. This interview gives you the opportunity to make sure that an official enters into your record the fact that you have declined Part B because you have health insurance through the current employment of you or your spouse. You may be required to provide documents showing you have this coverage.

Next page: What if I have a health savings account at work? »

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Walgreens 1 discount membership aarp

Members can earn 50 points per $1 spent on select health & wellness products at Walgreens.

member benefit aarp hear usa

Members save 15% on easy listening devices and more at the HearUSA Hearing Shop.

Eye Med 4 Membership Benefit AARP Discount

Members save up to 60% on eye exams and 30% on glasses at Target Optical.

Membership Benefits Discounts Email Genius

Brain boost? Get AARP email for access to memory exercises & more that help you focus.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points