Spiced and Herbed Quinoa
With Green Onions
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 cup hothouse cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a small pot, combine the quinoa and stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed. Let cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa with the remaining ingredients. Toss to mix thoroughly. Serve chilled.
Nutrients per serving: 268 calories, 6g protein, 34g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium
Snow Pea Salad
- 5 ounces snow peas, strings and tips removed, cut diagonally
- 2 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Salt, to taste
1. Blanch snow peas in boiling water for 8 to 10 seconds, then shock quickly in ice water. Pat dry.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the snow peas, bean sprouts and red pepper. Toss with the soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Season to taste with salt. Serve chilled.
Nutrients per serving: 57 calories, 2g protein, 5g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium