Gigante Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup dried gigante beans (or cannellini beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Place the beans in a bowl and cover with water. Let them stand overnight. Drain.
2. Place the beans in a medium pot and cover with 6 inches of water. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Season with the salt and cook an additional 5 minutes. Drain the beans and discard the bay leaf.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the bell peppers, lightly season with salt and black pepper, and stir frequently until the bell pepper mixture is tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the beans and parsley to the bell pepper mixture. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve chilled.
Nutrients per serving: 211 calories, 5g protein, 16g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 595mg sodium
Next page: Shredded red beets in vinaigrette. »