Sex seems to have similar benefits. In a recent animal study, a single sexual experience caused a short-term surge of cortisol, just as exercise does. But multiple sexual experiences, daily over two weeks, reduced the release of cortisol, increased neurogenesis, and decreased anxiety-like behavior.
So look for small but consistent ways to reduce stress. I wouldn't miss my morning yoga session, for instance. Just seven minutes of exercise to start the day — leaving the night free for romance — is a small investment that yields a very healthy payback.
Dr. Mehmet Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon and host of The Dr. Oz Show.
Stressed in the USA
- 40% of Americans say they lie awake at night because of stress
- 52% of Americans are worried about their health
- 70% of Americans are stressed about work
- 76% of boomers are worried about money
- $300 BILLION: The annual cost to businesses due to employee stress