Interested in staying active and healthy? Would you like to know more about the new health care law enacted by Congress earlier this year? If you answered ‘yes’ to one or both of these questions, AARP Hawaii is sponsoring a free event you and your loved ones are sure to enjoy.
The “Take Charge of Your Health” events are scheduled Aug. 13-19 on four islands and are designed to support your wellness goals and answer your questions about the federal health care law and how it affects you. This is a great opportunity to take charge of your health and learn some of the details of the new law.
Whether you’re between the ages of 50 and 64, or already receiving Medicare benefits, there’s something in these “talk story” sessions for you:
1. How Does the New Health Care Law Affect You? AARP national legislative expert Greg Wang will be on hand to answer your questions, hear your concerns, and talk about how the new law affects people in Medicare and adults between the ages of 50 and 64.
2. Ready to Step into Physical Fitness? Learn how AARP’s free 10-Week Walking Program can help you meet your wellness goals. We’ll provide a free pedometer, access to great Web-based tracking tools, and information about how to participate. You provide the energy and commitment.
3. Improve Your Balance to Avoid Falling – Get an introduction to the basic movements of “Tai Chi for Health,” an evidence-based program that has shown to improve balance, well being, and reduce the risk of falling as you get older. Movements may be done either sitting or standing and are meant for people of all abilities. Be sure to check with your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.
Space is limited, so register in advance:
Friday, Aug. 13 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Pearl Country Club
Saturday, Aug. 14 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Kaunoa Senior Center
Monday, Aug. 16 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Manoa Grand Ballroom
Tuesday, Aug. 17 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Camp Kokokahi, Atherton Hall
Wednesday, Aug. 18 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Kauai War Memorial Exhibition Hall
Thursday, Aug. 19 (9 – 11:30 a.m.)
Hilo Naniloa Volcanoes Resort (Pali Room)
For more information about these events, call AARP Hawaii at 808-545-6003. … Back to Article
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month & Get Up to 20% Off Membership
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- An ally on issues that matter most to you
- Free membership for your spouse or partner