What Health Reform Will Mean for You and Your Family
The Affordable Health Care for America Act, recently passed by the House of Representatives, contains critical components AARP has been fighting for on your behalf – proposals that would improve health care for our members and their families. They include:
- Stopping insurance companies from denying you affordable coverage because of your age.
- Preventing insurance companies from denying you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition or dropping your coverage if you get sick.
- Limiting how much your insurance company can make you pay in out-of-pocket costs.
- Preventing insurance companies from putting a cap on the amount of health care you can receive in a given year or over the course of your life.
- Ensuring that people who already have coverage through their employers don’t lose that coverage.
- Providing affordable insurance options for those who don’t have health coverage.
- Requiring insurance companies to cover routine checkups and preventive care like screening for diabetes, cancer and osteoporosis free of charge.
- Providing extra help to those who cannot afford to pay their premiums.
- Protecting Medicare so that you have the health coverage you need when you retire.
AARP Public Policy Institute Report: Health Care Reform: What’s At Stake for 50 to 64 Year Olds?