The Take Charge! Program is Oklahoma’s Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. The mission of Take Charge! is to inform women about early detection of breast and cervical cancers to prevent unnecessary suffering and death. The program provides no-cost health counseling, clinical breast exams, pap smears and mammograms for women that qualify. Call (405) 271-2124 to schedule an appointment.
No-Cost services to women who meet the program guidelines include:
- A well-woman assessment to consist of a health and cancer risk history as it applies to breast and cervical cancer,
- Clinical breast exam,
- Pap smear and limited screening vaginal and perineal exam,
- Coupon for a free mammogram for women 50-64,
- Referral and follow-up for women with abnormal results.
Take Charge! Program Eligibility Guidelines for 2009/2010
All areas of eligibility must be met
- Age 50 – 64 (Will receive an annual free mammogram and a free pap test every two years)
- Age 40 – 49 (Must have breast symptoms to be seen)
- Age 35 – 49 (Must not have had a pap test in the last 5 years in order to be seen)
- Age 35 – 49 (Must have had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer or pre-cancer to be seen)
2. Insurance. Women must not have insurance or have insurance with a high deductible. In addition, they must not be covered by Medicare or Medicaid.