Slow Roast Stuffed Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1/2 cup + 2/3 cup chicken stock, divided
- 1 whole 5-pound chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Put 2 tablespoons butter into a large frying pan and melt it over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and soft. Stir in the allspice.
2. Add the rice and nuts to the pan, and then cook for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add the sultanas, 1/2 cup of chicken stock and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 285 degrees F. Rinse the cavity of the chicken with cold water and pat dry inside and out with paper towels.
4. Spoon cooled stuffing into the cavity. Truss the chicken with string, then place in a deep baking dish. Rub salt and pepper into the skin with your fingertips.
5. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and pour over the chicken, then add remaining 2/3 cup stock to the pan. Roast for 2 hours 30 minutes, basting every 30 minutes with juices from the pan.
6. Increase the oven's temperature to 350 degrees F, and cook for 30 minutes more to brown the chicken thoroughly.
Chocolate Banana Milkshake
1/3 cup raw almonds
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
1 ripe banana
10 ice cubes
1. Soak the almonds in a bowl filled with water for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. Drain almonds and place them in a blender.
3. Add 1 cup water. Blend on high for a minute or two until the almonds are chopped very finely.
4. Add honey, banana, cocoa powder and ice cubes. Blend for 1 additional minute until smooth.
5. Drink immediately.
Next page: Dark chocolate-covered strawberry tart. »
13 RECIPES FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Pecan, Cranberry and Orange Muffins
- Fruited Granola
- Amy's Cinnamon Almonds
- Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- Grown Up Fruit Salad
- Spinach Dhal
- Eggs Baked in Cream
- Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche With a Potato Crust
- Orecchiette With Spinach, Shrimp and Garlic Chips
- Chicken and Pecan Enchiladas
- Slow Roast Stuffed Chicken
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tart