Eggs Baked in Cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 sprigs parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Rustic bread, toasted
1. Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in a small sauté pan and add sliced leeks with a splash of water and a pinch or two of salt. Cook until leeks are tender, soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
3. Transfer leeks to a ramekin or a small baking dish and line the bottom of the dish with them. Sprinkle parsley leaves on top, reserving a few bits for garnish. Spread the harissa over the herbs in a thin layer, using as much as desired.
4. Crack the egg and gently slide it into the middle of the dish. Add the cream so it covers the egg white. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bake egg for 8-12 minutes, until cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with grilled or toasted bread.
Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche With a Potato Crust
- 1-2 russet potatoes, sliced very thinly
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 5 asparagus spears, ends removed, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Coat a pie pan with cooking spray. Layer thin slices of potato in the pan, overlapping, to completely cover the bottom and sides. Spray with cooking spray again and bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and season to taste with salt. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
4. Distribute onions, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes, diced ham and Swiss cheese in the potato crust.
5. Beat eggs and milk together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies and ham.
6. Place quiche in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Next page: Orecchiette with spinach, shrimp and garlic chips. »
13 RECIPES FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Pecan, Cranberry and Orange Muffins
- Fruited Granola
- Amy's Cinnamon Almonds
- Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- Grown Up Fruit Salad
- Spinach Dhal
- Eggs Baked in Cream
- Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche With a Potato Crust
- Orecchiette With Spinach, Shrimp and Garlic Chips
- Chicken and Pecan Enchiladas
- Slow Roast Stuffed Chicken
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tart