- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Leaves from 3/4 head of romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 ounces feta or blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
1. Rinse all of the fruit and place in a colander lined with paper towels to dry.
2. Place the spinach and romaine in a bowl and toss together to mix.
3. Arrange berries and kiwi on top of the spinach and lettuce.
4. Top with walnuts and feta or blue cheese (if using) and serve immediately.
- 1 cup yellow split peas or split moong dal, soaked overnight in water
- 1 whole hot pepper of your choice
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (can substitute yellow or brown mustard seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
1. Rinse soaked peas twice, drain, and add to a 4- or 5-quart pot. Add 5 cups water and the whole hot pepper and stir.
2. Cover pot, place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Let peas cook until you have the consistency of a pea soup. Most of the peas should have melted; use the back of your spoon to mash.
3. Once the desired consistency has been reached, add the spinach and season the peas with salt to taste. Cover and reduce heat to low.
4. While the peas are simmering, heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Toss in mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the cumin and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the garlic and cook until it just starts to color.
5. Remove spice mixture from heat and pour the contents into the simmering dhal. Stir everything together and let it simmer for one minute more.
6. Remove from heat and serve with rice, roti or bread — or eat it as a soup.
Next page: Eggs baked in cream. »
13 RECIPES FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Pecan, Cranberry and Orange Muffins
- Fruited Granola
- Amy's Cinnamon Almonds
- Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- Grown Up Fruit Salad
- Spinach Dhal
- Eggs Baked in Cream
- Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche With a Potato Crust
- Orecchiette With Spinach, Shrimp and Garlic Chips
- Chicken and Pecan Enchiladas
- Slow Roast Stuffed Chicken
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tart