Amy's Cinnamon Almonds
- 1 pound almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
2. Whisk the egg white and vanilla until fluffy.
3. Stir almonds into the egg white mixture.
4. In separate bowl combine the sugars, salt and cinnamon.
5. Pour the almonds into the sugar mixture and mix to coat the almonds with the sugar.
6. Pour almonds onto a cookie sheet and spread into a thin layer. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
7. Let cool and eat.
Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 anchovy, finely chopped, with a small amount of oil reserved
- Juice and zest of 1/2 Meyer lemon (can substitute regular lemon)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers with a bit of the juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 stalks of asparagus, ends trimmed, peeled up to the base of the tips, and thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 medium-size head of fennel, very thinly sliced (with mandolin if possible)
- 3 sprigs of fennel fronds, coarsely chopped or torn
- 20 very thin slices of Piave cheese or Parmesan cheese (shaved with a vegetable peeler, if possible)
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
1. Place shallot and anchovy in a bowl. Add lemon juice and zest, vinegar, and capers and juice. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add mustard. Slowly whisk in olive oil and set aside.
2. Combine raw asparagus, fennel and fennel fronds in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with some of the vinaigrette and taste. Add more vinaigrette, salt or pepper if desired, and continue tasting until salad is dressed and seasoned to your liking.
3. Sprinkle cheese over the top and gently toss once more.
4. Serve immediately.
Next page: Grown-up fruit salad. »
13 RECIPES FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Pecan, Cranberry and Orange Muffins
- Fruited Granola
- Amy's Cinnamon Almonds
- Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- Grown Up Fruit Salad
- Spinach Dhal
- Eggs Baked in Cream
- Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche With a Potato Crust
- Orecchiette With Spinach, Shrimp and Garlic Chips
- Chicken and Pecan Enchiladas
- Slow Roast Stuffed Chicken
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tart