AARP Chapters and Missouri Retired Teachers Association (MRTA) Units from across the state participated in the 2011 National Day of Service AARP Missouri competition that focused on food donations for homeless shelters, food pantries, soup kitchens, homes for the mentally disabled and shelters for children and battered persons.
See Also: Volunteer in Your Community
The first AARP Day of Service followed the Sept. 11, 2001 events when AARP became even more committed toward making a difference in communities across the nation. Since that time, AARP has promoted activities that get staff, volunteers and members to rededicate themselves to serving others in the spirit of AARP founder Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus.
This year, the competition had two focus areas where AARP chapters and MRTA units were judged: media coverage in local communities, and photo submissions capturing the day’s event. Monetary prize awards ranged from $60 to $185 per group. All chapters and units that participated received a $10 stipend. Here are the 2011 winners:
- First Place: Audrain County AARP Chapter #3924, Mexico
- Second Place: Long Branch AARP Chapter (No. Pending), Macon
- Third Place: Piedmont AARP Chapter 1270, Piedmont
- First Place: Long Branch AARP Chapter (No. Pending), Macon
- Second Place: Lake Stockton AARP Chapter #3709, Stockton
- Third Place: Cape Girardeau County AARP Chapter $4041, Cape Girardeau
- First Place: Madison County RTA/PSP Region 11, Fredericktown
- Second Place: Audrain County Area Public School Retirees, Mexico
- Third Place: Washington County Retired School Personnel Association, Potosi
- First Place: Barry County Area Retired School Personnel, Monett
- Second Place: Washington County Retired School Personnel Association, Potosi
- Third Place: Audrain County Area Public School Retirees, Mexico
Congratulations to all winners – your communities are winners, too.