AARP and the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks (OASHF), Ohio’s largest charitable response to hunger, urge you to fight hunger and participate in AARP’s Create the Good® statewide food and funds drive. Your donations will go directly to your local food bank and your donations make a difference right where they are needed most: in your own community.
Food donations are more important than ever, and every dollar donated to Ohio’s emergency food network buys five meals that support a neighborhood food pantry or soup kitchen.
Too many older adults go hungry every day.
Six million Americans age 60 and older—over 11 percent of all older Americans—suffer some form of food insecurity.
Between 2006 and 2008, the percentage of poor and near-poor elderly with very low food security more than doubled – from 4.7% to 10.1%.
Thousands of Ohio’s older adults are making choices between buying food and purchasing medication.
AARP believes that no one of any age should struggle to make the choice of buying groceries or the medicine they need. Working together as part of AARP’s 2010 national hunger campaign, we can help older adults and their families put nutritious food on the table.
There is a great demand for foods that meet specific nutritional needs as community pantries feed older Ohioans:
- high protein (such as peanut butter and canned tuna)
- nutrient-rich items (such as nutritional supplement shakes)
Participating is easy—whether you have 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days:
- Donate food. Call Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks (OASHF) toll-free at 1-877-223-7161 to find a local food bank or food pantry. OASHF and AARP are working together on this project and is ready to assist you in your food drive. Bring this article with your food donation so it’s counted in AARP Ohio food drive totals.
- Donate funds. Go to the OASHF website and choose the donate now button. Your financial donation will be committed to your local food bank.
AARP’s Create the Good website provides tools to organize a food drive and increase your impact:
- The how-to guide Organize a Food Drive can help your chapter increase your food drive success.
- Find additional ways to get involved in AARP’s national hunger campaign.
Sign up on the Create the Good website to be a part of the network and online community. Just choose the “Join” button — it’s free.
Tell us how your chapter made a difference by sharing your story on the Create the Good website.