Members of the All Arizona School Retirees Association (AASRA), a non-profit group affiliated with the National Retired Teachers Association (NRTA), last year logged over 215,000 hours of volunteerism, serving in their neighborhoods in various capacities across the state.
The 2010 total number for reported hours was worth over $1.5 billion based on the current NRTA hourly rate.
“Volunteering is something AASRA members take very seriously,” said Steve Poe, AASRA President. “It’s the fabric of our organization. We work hard to give back to our communities through various service activities including AARP’s Create the Good and by participating in AARP’s National Day of Service, which is usually held in September.”
The All Arizona School Retirees Association is comprised of retired school employees including former teachers, school principles, administrators, nurses, school bus drivers and custodians. Currently, there are 16 AASRA units in Arizona with a statewide membership of over 1200.
Last year AASRA members spent time volunteering at food banks, churches and hospitals. The organization’s members are also actively involved in community justice programs or with serving in local Rotary, Lions and Elks Clubs.
Poe says members of its Westside unit in Glendale alone donated over 66,000 hours to community service in 2010. “AASRA members have spent their working lives in the public school system and we have an affinity for helping others.”
Below is a list of the AASRA units across the state and the number of hours spent in volunteer service in their communities in 2010:
- Phoenix/Scottsdale unit: 9,730 hours
- Copper Center (Globe) unit: 6,276 hours
- Pima County (Tucson) unit: 50,983 hours
- East Valley unit: 12,627 hours
- Pinal County (Casa Grande) unit: 6,192 hours
- Graham/Greenlee (Safford) unit: 6,901 hours
- Saguaro (Avondale) unit: 11,100 hours
- Huachuca (Sierra Vista) unit: 11,142 hours
- Tri-Point (Wickenburg) unit: 7,438 hours
- Kachina (Sedona) unit: 9,555 hours
- Westside (Phoenix) unit: 66,487 hours
- Lost Dutchman (Apache Junction) unit: 2,958 hours
- Mohave (Kingman) unit: 12,858 hours
- Yuma County unit: 538 hours
- San Pedro unit: 1123 hours
Stay connected with AARP Arizona and receive daily updates about activities near you. Become a friend of our Facebook.
Next ArticleRead This