Fifty years ago, Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus founded AARP because she was inspired to help others and change the world. AARP continues her work helping all Americans get the most out of life and give back all they have to offer
Here in New York, AARP works with thousands of volunteers to advocate, educate, and deliver community programs that help families live their lives with good health and financial security.
Whether it was 50 years ago or today, the story of AARP is the story of all people who are inspired to make a difference in their communities. That is why volunteerism is such an important part of our work.
To commemorate the spirit of making a difference, AARP wants to hear YOUR volunteer story. Enter our contest and tell us how you volunteer. While you’re at it, tell us what has inspired you to take on volunteering and what it means to you.
AARP invites all members who live in the following counties: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne to take part in the AARP New York "Tell Us Your Volunteer Story" Contest. You could win up to $500 just for telling us your story! Interested contestants must submit an essay or photo responding to the following three questions:
- How do you volunteer to make a difference?
- What has inspired you to take on volunteering?
- What does volunteering mean to you?
Here are the contest details.
Essay: To submit your entry, you must type your essay and include your full name, and then email it at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tell Us Your Volunteer Story Contest” as the subject line. Your essay cannot exceed 350 words.
Photo with caption: To submit your entry, you must attach your photo in jpeg format (not to exceed 5MBs) and submit via email to email@example.com with “Tell Us Your Volunteer Story Contest” as the subject line.
- Entries must be received by September 7, 2011
- Entries must be typed
- Entries must be 350 words or less
- Photo entries must be in jpeg format and not to exceed 5MBs
- Entries can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Tell Us Your Volunteer Story Contest” in the email subject line.
- Must be an AARP member
- Must reside in one of the following counties: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne (as of September 7, 2011)
Each entry in the AARP New York “Tell Us Your Volunteer Story Contest” will be judged by a panel of 4 volunteers. The entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Creativity: What makes the entry unique?
- Content: Use of language
- Clarity: Adherence to the theme
There will be three winners selected. First prize winner will receive a $500 Visa gift card, second prize is a $250 Visa gift card, this third prize is a $150 Visa gift card. Winners will be named no later than November 7, 2011.
Don’t wait! The contest ends on September 7, 2011, so submit your entry today! View the complete contest rules.
*AARP staff and Executive Council members, as well as their immediate family members, are not eligible to participate in this contest.
Next ArticleRead This