AARP Nebraska is seeking nominations for the 2010 AARP Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors those individuals who are sharing their experience, talent, and skills to enrich the lives of their community members.
The annual award honors individuals whose service is a unique and valuable contribution to society. Last year, AARP recognized 47 outstanding individuals from around the country, including Chuck Scripter of North Platte.
“Volunteerism is clearly a new way of looking at retirement for older Nebraskans. Many are finding that they want to remain active and involved and that volunteerism fulfills this need and the desire to help others,” said AARP State President Sunny Andrews. “Through this recognition, AARP encourages members and prospective members to use their skills and assistance as a way to remain vital as well as make a difference in their community.”
The screening of statewide nominees will be performed by AARP Nebraska and involves a range of criteria, including positive impact on the lives of individuals age 50 and older, improvement of the community in or for which the work was performed, and serving as an inspiration to others to volunteer. The award recipient will be announced on or about September 1, 2010.
AARP Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Nominees must be current AARP volunteers or AARP members; or must have been AARP volunteers or members during 2009.
- The accomplishments, achievements, or service on which the nomination is based must include the year 2009, but need not be exclusive to 2009.
- Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible; however, teams are not eligible.
- The accomplishments, achievements, or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay.
- The accomplishments, achievements or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s priority issues of Health, Livable Communities and/or Economic Security.
Nominations are due by June 1, 2010. Please contact Robin Szwanek at email@example.com or 1-866-389-5651 toll-free for further information and a nomination form.