The AARP Colorado State Office is excited to announce our 2011 Drive to End Hunger Chapter Challenge. This challenge invites your chapter to perform a hunger related community service project in your area and be rewarded with $100 dollars for up to two approved projects which are then completed. This money is to be given to either a local nonprofit or charity of your choice that serves to end hunger issues, e.g. food bank, Meals on Wheels.
Chapters may engage in other community projects but get a maximum of two chances to win the drawing to be held this fall at our annual Volunteer Recognition event. At the Volunteer Recognition event three winners will be drawn from the group of completed projects.
The award amounts will be $500, $250 and $125. This drawing money will be for your chapter to use as it sees fit. Participation in the Chapter Challenge will also be a consideration in annual Colorado Chapter Cup competition.
A special award will be given to the chapter that is most creative and highlights AARP’s Drive to End Hunger the best. This award is a surprise and will be announced at the Volunteer Recognition event.
All award monies will be distributed to the participating chapters in the month following the Volunteer Recognition event.
1. Notify Cathy Lasnik of your chapter’s planned participation and your choice of project no later than April 30.
2. At least 25% of your chapter members must participate in each project for it to qualify.
3. At least one community partner must be involved in the project. This can be an existing community partner that you have worked with previously or a new community partner.
4. You must provide the state office with a detailed report of your completed project within 2 weeks of completion. Details should include:
a. Chapter name and number
b. How many chapter members participated
c. Date/s of project
d. Community partner/s involved
e. Non-profit, charity or group served
f. How was AARP’s Drive To End Hunger highlighted
g. Any media attention that is garnered of project
5. All community projects must be completed by Sept. 23 and final reports submitted to Cathy Lasnik no later than Sept. 30. You can submit reports via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or regular mail at AARP Colorado, 303 E. 17th Avenue, Suite 510, Denver, CO 80203.
Find more ideas at Create the Good.
The State AARP Office will be happy to help your chapter strategize on ways to use this outreach to increase chapter membership and visibility. Please contact us at 1-866-554-5376 (toll-free).