Experts in Tax Rules
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers have been trained in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue to perform tax-counseling services. They can also provide advice on Massachusetts tax rules, including:
- Energy efficient credits – Bay State residential property owners may qualify for tax credits toward lead paint removal, renewable energy equipment, and septic system replacement.
- “Circuit Breaker” tax credit – Up to $980 is available for Massachusetts property owners and renters who are age 65 and older who meet certain criteria.
- Schedule HC: Health Care Information – The state’s landmark Health Care Reform Law requires Massachusetts residents age 18 and over who can afford health insurance to have health coverage or pay a penalty through their tax returns.
Don’t Delay – Make Your Appointment with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Today
To find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site in the community, or a neighboring community, go to the online AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Site Locator or call 1-888-AARP-NOW (1-888-227-7669).
Most AARP Foundation Tax-Aide sites offer electronic tax filing (e-filing), at no charge to the taxpayer. E-filing ensures more accurate tax returns and faster processing of tax refunds.
Prepare for Your Meeting with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
Before meeting with an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteer, gather together some basic information and bring it with you to the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site, such as:
- 2011 tax forms and preparation booklet
- Copy of last year’s income tax returns
- W-2 forms from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- 1099-HC form if you have private health insurance
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-misc.,) showing interest and/or dividends as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099R forms if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security numbers for all dependents.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is administered by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated, 501(c)(3) nonpartisan, charitable organization established in 1961.