Alert
Close

Top the Treasure Hunt leaderboard by 5 p.m. Friday to win a $100 gift card! Learn more

Jenny Bowen: Purpose Prize Winner

Her work to change the lives of China's orphans breaks new ground as global community service

You began with almost nothing. How did you build support for Half the Sky?

First, I reached out for expertise. I got in touch with child development experts, pediatricians, educators and China experts — anyone who could help design the programs I imagined.

Then I reached out to others who had adopted Chinese children, and people I knew. I began writing to them saying: "This is what I am going to do. Will you join me?" Word spread and soon I had 3,000 email addresses.

I also contacted anyone I knew who had China ties, and managed to arrange a first meeting in Beijing with Chinese government officials. Since then I have steadily developed a relationship at every level of government.

What are the biggest challenges in your work?

Dealing with bureaucracy, which is true anywhere. In China, people are even less willing to lead than people in the West. But there's always a way if you can wait long enough — perseverance and patience, always. You stay infinitely flexible.

How did you win the trust of government officials?

The children themselves were the ultimate salespeople. As the officials who'd almost reluctantly given permission for a pilot program began to see dramatic changes in the children, they began to share stories, and bit by bit we've come to the place where everyone wants these programs – the entire child welfare system!

Have there been particular moments that made it all worthwhile — specific children you remember?

One little boy had hemophilia. He spent his first five years either in bed or in the hospital. They were afraid to let him run around. No surprise, he never spoke to anyone.

When we set up our first family village in Chongqing, we were told he was autistic and couldn't join a family. We persevered and got him moved.

Six months later I visited the family village and went into the apartment where he lived. He took me by the hand and pointed to a picture on the wall. "This is my family," he said.

What is your typical workday like? I understand you spend at least half the year in China.

I run what is now a global organization, with supporters on every continent except Africa. My day never ends. I get up very early and always there is someone in China or the United States or somewhere in the world who is waiting for an answer, and it goes like that all day long until I go to bed.

I work about 14 hours a day, seven days a week. I do squeak out time for my family. We always have dinner together when I am in town and we spend time snuggling and hanging out whenever we can. I really value that time. I am always a little bit sad when I go to the other side of the world to help children and I have to leave my own behind.

What's next?

I'm going to donate the $100,000 Purpose Prize to Half the Sky and use it as a challenge grant called A Million Rainbows – named for the million orphans in China. We'll try to get others to contribute matching grants and hope to raise a million dollars to support the effort to train every child welfare worker in China.

I'm working now to create a global community of concern – we call it "1 Big Family" – so that the children never go back into darkness, so that the world stays involved.

What advice would you have for someone who wanted to help children in this country?

Do it! Don't wait for an invitation. Mine would have never come.

Karin Evans is a journalist and author of The Lost Daughters of China; the mother of two adopted daughters from China; and an advisory board member of Half the Sky.

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

AARP IN YOUR STATE

Illustration showing people in a community

Your local AARP state office or chapter is a good place to find opportunities to help others.

AARP State Offices

Local AARP Chapter

Good Things You Can Do Yourself!