Serving size: 1 cup with 1 piece chicken
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Dash paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon. salt
- Dash black pepper
- 3 pounds chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin and fat removed
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon achiote powder
- 2 tablespoon. sofrito
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon pimiento (optional)
- Combine olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper in large container. Add chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Heat canola oil in large stockpot. Add achiote and stir until oil turns bright orange. Sauté sofrito and peppers for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and sauté 5-6 minutes. Add tomato sauce, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir several times.
- Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add rice, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Add peas, cover, and cook 5 more minutes. Garnish with pimiento, if using.
This recipe is from the book Cocinando para Latinos con Diabetes (Diabetic Cooking for Latinos) by Olga V. Fusté, published by the American Diabetes Association (ADA).
Courtesy of the American Diabetes Association®