Guid-Moc-Shoe (aka Sweet Corn Maque Choux)
- Olive oil, for lightly coating vegetables
- 3 ears of fresh corn on the cob, preferably white, with husks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
1. Lightly oil the corn and roast on a grill or grill pan. Meanwhile, char the bell peppers on an open burner flame or oil them lightly and char under the broiler. Let the corn cool, remove the husks, and cut the kernels from the cobs. Peel and dice the bell peppers.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy, then remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel–lined plate. Add the onions, jalapeño and bell peppers to the bacon fat and sauté for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the corn and celery and sauté until the celery is al dente. Add the flour and stir until lightly browned. Add the white wine and chicken stock and cook until the sauce thickens. Stir in the tomatoes and serve.
Nutrients per serving: 158 calories, 7g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium
Next page: Learn how to make Szechuan green beans. »