Plan your entire Hanukkah menu in one fell swoop this year with this list of nutritious recipes, including classic dishes (kugel and latkes) and a few new ones, such as baked beets and brown rice salad. Leave guests satisfied, but not uncomfortably full — and then you can all happily indulge in dessert.
1. Noodle Kugel With Carrots and Apples by Faye Levy
This recipe skips the dairy for a lower-fat kugel. The apples and carrots add sweetness and color.
Per Serving: 307 calories, 2g saturated fat, 47g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 3g fiber
2. Slow-Roasted Garlic and Lemon Chicken by Nigella Lawson
Roasted chicken is a crowd-pleaser, and so easy to make, with simple garnishes of garlic and lemon.
Per Serving: 441 calories, 8g saturated fat, 6g carbohydrates, 31g protein, 2g fiber
3. Cream of Carrot Soup by Jan Main
We promise this dish isn't unhealthy, despite the C-word in the title (and we don't mean carrot). It has a base of chicken stock and soy milk, seasoned with garlic and nutmeg.
Per Serving: 123 calories, 5g fat, 17g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 4g fiber
4. Salad of Field Greens With Lentils and Goat Cheese by Debra Ponzek
Greens, lentils and cheese create just the right balance for a wonderful salad with lots of protein.
Per Serving: 605 calories, 12g saturated fat, 10g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 5g fiber
5. Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes With Ginger Orange Dipping Sauce by Jon Ashton