- 4 cups 2% milk
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- ½ cup dark rum
- Blend almonds with 2 cups of milk. Strain mixture and set aside.
- Heat 2 remaining cups of milk and evaporated milk in saucepan at medium heat.
- Add almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves, sugar and almond extract and mix well. Boil at low heat while stirring constantly for 4–5 minutes, using a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Strain mixture and add it back to the saucepan. Heat at very low heat.
- Mix egg yolks and rum, and strain. Add to the saucepan, stirring constantly over heat for approximately 6–8 minutes, until lightly thickened.
- Cool to room temperature, place in a glass pitcher and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.
You may also like: Pumpkin cheesecake.