- ¼ cup light raisins
- ¼ cup dark Thompson raisins
- ¼ cup dry cranberries, halved
- ¼ cup dry apricots, cut in small pieces
- ¼ cup orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 12 ounces challah bread, stale, cut in ½-inch squares
- 8 ounces whole milk
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 16 ounces heavy cream
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14-ounce can condensed milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup guava paste, cut in small squares
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
See also: Sweet plantain baskets.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Have ready a 13x9x2-inch ovenproof pan.
- In a medium bowl, add dry fruit, liqueur, cinnamon powder and grated orange rind. Mix well. Cover with plastic, and set aside overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium saucepan, add whole milk, cinnamon stick and cloves. Heat at medium heat until it boils. Strain and, in a large bowl add condensed and evaporated milks. Add bread and soak for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg yolks with sugar, adding ingredients slowly while beating until well-mixed and smooth. Add salt and mix well.
- Add melted butter to bread mixture. Add egg mixture, marinated fruit and guava. Mix well but gently.
- Pour mixture into a 13x9x2-inch ovenproof pan. Place in a larger pan to which you have added hot water. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let rest at room temperature. Pudding can be served at room temperature or after refrigerating for a few hours.
You may also like: Diabetes-friendly holiday recipes.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This