When planning your next friendly gathering or casual cocktail party, consider these stellar appetizers. All are rich in nutrients and low in fat. From fresh spring rolls to grilled scallops and tasty dips, these one-bite, no-mess recipes are also low maintenance, so you can spend time with your guests, not in your kitchen.
1. Fresh Vegetable Spring Rolls With Filipino Garlic Sauce by Andrew Chase
These colorful spring rolls — sliced veggies delicately wrapped in rice paper — are both pretty and delicious.
Per Serving: 233 calories, 0g fat, 50g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 2g fiber
2. Grilled Marinated Scallops With Ginger and Sesame by Linda Greenlaw and Martha Greenlaw
This is a super-easy recipe for seafood lovers: Just marinate, grill for about 5 minutes and they’re ready to enjoy.
Per Serving: 126 calories, 1g fat, 6g carbohydrates, 17g protein, 1g fiber
3. Eggplant “Caviar” With Tomato-Mint Salad by Jonathan King, Jim Stott, & Kathy Gunst
This playful interpretation of caviar is an inventive vegetarian option, and fantastic when paired with the tomato-mint salad.
Per Serving: 121 calories, 2g fat, 8g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 3g fiber
4. Classic Shrimp Cocktail by James Peterson
A simple recipe for the ever-popular shrimp cocktail that’s nice to serve in a martini glass with several chilled shrimp for each guest.
Per Serving: 98 calories, 0g fat, 15g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 3g fiber
5. Chicken Satay by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
Chicken satay is a low-fat but meaty app. Decide how much meat to include on each skewer and pair accordingly with the savory peanut sauce.
Per Serving: 308 calories, 11g fat, 12g carbohydrates, 13g protein, 3g fiber