Yields: approximately 3 dozen
- 1 pound fresh pumpkin
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 5 ounces sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Canola oil for frying fritters
- Peel and clean pumpkin; cut into small pieces.
- In a medium-size pan, boil pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon and ginger for approximately 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and reserve liquid. Cool pumpkin for 15 minutes, and puree it in a food processor. Set aside.
- Mix flour, 4 ounces of sugar (set aside the 5th ounce), yeast and salt. Add egg to center of dry mixture, and slowly beat to incorporate all the ingredients. Mix milk with ½ cup of residual liquid used for boiling the pumpkin, and add slowly to the batter.
- Flour your hands and knead the batter well. Place batter in a bowl, and cover with a slightly damp cloth. Let rest for 40 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Mix batter with pumpkin puree.
- Wet your fingers in water. Make a ring or donut shape by taking about two tablespoons of dough in your hand and using your middle and index fingers to make a hole in the center. Place ring in hot oil and fry for 3–4 minutes, or until golden brown. You may fry several at once.
- Place hot fritters over paper towels and sprinkle them with remaining sugar.
- Serve warm.
You may also like: Autumn Pumpkin Cream With Meat Rolls.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This