Yields 4 baskets
- 2 very ripe plantains (skin has turned almost black), cut into ½-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 8 ounces amaretto cookies, crumbled, plus additional cookie crumbles for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
- Cooking spray
- In medium-size frying pan, mix margarine, sweet plantain rounds, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook at medium heat for 7–10 minutes or until plantain is soft and golden. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine eggs, cream and plantains in a blender and mix well.
- Mix cookies and butter in a food processor.
- Spray ramekins or ceramic molds with cooking spray. Cover bottom and sides of molds with cookie mixture, and compact with your fingers.
- Pour plantain cream mixture on each mold, and bake for 15 minutes at 350°F. Remove from oven and let rest for 10–15 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, slightly combine the cream and vanilla until it starts to thicken. Reduce speed, add powdered sugar and continue mixing until peaks are formed.
- Serve the plantain baskets with a dollop of cream on top and, if preferred, top with cookie crumbles. May be served at room temperature or, preferably, after refrigerating for 2–3 hours.
You may also like: Refreshing drinks.