- 1 garlic head, all cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sour orange mojo
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 6-pound bone-in pork butt
- 4 loaves round or oval-shaped bread, sliced horizontally
- 3 tablespoons low-calorie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and deveined, cut into small dice
- 1 tomato, finely sliced
- 1 Hass avocado, semi-ripe, finely sliced
- Cut 4 garlic cloves in thin slices. Crush the remaining garlic in a pestle, and add the oregano, cumin, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Mix well until a paste is formed.
- Make small incisions in the pork. Insert garlic slices. Rub mixture well over pork. Place in a plastic bag, add sour orange mojo and set aside in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Place pork in a small cooker, along with the juices remaining in the bag. Add chicken broth and cover well. Cook at low temperature for 7–8 hours, or until meat falls off the bone.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before shredding.
- Leftover meat may be used in other dishes, such as chickpeas and pork stew, or frozen for later use.
How to assemble the panini
- Combine mustard, honey and jalapeño pepper, and set aside.
- Spread one half of the bread with mayonnaise. Add 2 tomato slices, 4 ounces of pork and avocado to taste. Spread mustard mixture on the other half of the bread and close the sandwich.
- Place on frying pan or griddle and press, using a metal lid or sandwich press.
- Brown for 2–3 minutes on each side, according to preference.
You may also like: Three potato recipes for every occasion.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This