Yields: 12 empanadas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, cut into small dice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ medium red pepper, seeds and veins removed, cut into small dice
- 1 Roma tomato, peeled, seeds and pulp removed, cut into small dice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pimento-stuffed olives, sliced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeds and veins removed, cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, 90% lean
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green plantains
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- In a large pan, heat oil at medium heat and add onion. Sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add carrot and cook for additional 2–3 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper, tomato, scallion, olives, jalapeño, raisins and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until juices evaporate, approximately 8–10 minutes.
- Add lime juice, parsley and cilantro. Mix well and remove from heat.