Potatoes with Huancaína (Spicy Cheese) Sauce
- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut in ½-inch slices
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh cheese, preferably feta
- ½ teaspoon achiote (annatto) oil
- 1 tablespoon jarred yellow chile
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 6 botija olives, sliced
- Boil potatoes in slightly salted water for approximately 15–18 minutes or until cooked but firm.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add potatoes and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes at medium heat.
- Place onion, garlic, cheese, olive oil, achiote oil, yellow chile and milk in a blender; mix until creamy. If needed, add milk to adjust thickness.
- Pour sauce over cooked potatoes and garnish with sliced eggs and olives.
Achiote (Annatto) oil
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup achiote seeds
- In a small pan, heat oil and achiote seeds at medium heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat when it starts to boil, and let rest for a few minutes.
- Strain oil to remove seeds.