- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 ounces ground chorizo
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely cut
- 5 garlic cloves, finely cut
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled and seedless, cut in small pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, seedless, cut into small dice
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cups short grain rice, preferably arborio
- 5 ounces frozen peas
- 1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Use a paella skillet (paellera) or 13-inch cast-iron skillet to heat chicken broth and add saffron. Keep at low heat.
- Sauté chorizo in skillet at low heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Increase heat and add chicken. Brown for 8 minutes and set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet; sauté onion for 3–4 minutes or until brown. Add garlic, tomato, pepper, chorizo and rosemary. Cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Add rice and mix gently for 3–4 minutes to integrate flavors. When moisture is absorbed, add chicken pieces and chicken broth.
- Cook at medium heat for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add peas and place in oven. Cook for 10–12 minutes or until rice is completely cooked. Remove from oven and garnish with red pepper strips.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
You may also like: Vegetarian paella.