En español | 4 servings
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked in salted water
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Commercially available corn tostadas (toasted corn tortillas)
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup Mexican cream (crème fraîche or sour cream)
- 6 ounces Mexican queso fresco (queso blanco or panela)
- Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- Sliced jalapeño peppers
For the sauce
- 10 ripe and seeded Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño vinegar*
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Shred the chicken and set aside.
2. Finely slice one onion into rounds and sauté in oil on a skillet over medium heat until soft.
3. While the onion browns, dice the other onion. In a blender, combine the tomatoes, garlic, the diced onion, the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and the jalapeño vinegar, and blend. Add water if necessary and season to taste.
4. Add the blended sauce to the skillet where the onion is sautéing and adjust the seasonings.
5. Add the chicken, mix well, cover and cook over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
Spread the corn tostadas with the refried beans, then top with the shredded chicken, a bit of lettuce, cream, cheese and sliced jalapeño peppers.
* Steep chopped jalapeños and salt in boiled white vinegar for 2 hours.
Next ArticleRead This