- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium-large eggplant, trimmed and cut into thick slices
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425º F. Mix 3 tablespoons oil with the garlic, and toss with eggplant and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Arrange in a 13-by-9-inch pan, larger slices on the bottom and smaller pieces on top. Toss tomatoes with another 2 teaspoons of oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Scatter over eggplant and roast until eggplant is golden and tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, basil and remaining teaspoon of oil in a small bowl. As eggplant emerges from oven, sprinkle with mozzarella and then bread crumb mixture. Continue to bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Serve.
Yellow Squash-Succotash Casserole
- 2 to 3 yellow squash (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, thick ends quartered, thin ends halved
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into large dice
- 8 ounces each: corn kernels and lima beans (fresh or frozen*)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425º F. Toss squash, onion, corn, lima beans, oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper in a 13-by-9-inch pan. Roast vegetables, stirring once at 30 minutes, until fully cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated — about 45 minutes total. Stir in parsley and half-and-half; return pan to the oven and continue to cook until milk thickens, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
*You can use frozen corn and lima beans, too. Figure the same amount — about 8 ounces or 1 1/2 cups.