You will probably only use about half the dressing for this hearty main-course salad. Save the rest for another day.
Light Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/3 cup each: buttermilk, light sour cream or Greek yogurt, and low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 packed cups (about 8 ounces) prewashed mixed baby greens
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 whole avocado, cut into small dice
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella, cut into small dice
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into small dice and lightly salted
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled pita chips
Mix all dressing ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, mashing some of the blue cheese into the dressing with the back of fork. (Can be covered and refrigerated for several days.)
Place salad greens in a large bowl. Arrange each salad ingredient — eggs, onions, avocado, mozzarella and tomatoes — in strips over salad greens (can be covered and refrigerated several hours ahead).
When ready to serve, drizzle salad with dressing to taste, add the pita chips. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
You may also like: 10 whole grain recipes that add a healthy punch.