Photo by Marisa Zanganeh
Yields 4 portions
1 loaf French bread (baguette), sliced lengthwise and cut into 4 pieces
¼ cup goat cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon chipotle adobo
½ teaspoon honey
2 onions, finely sliced
2-3 ounces baby spinach
2-3 vine tomatoes, finely sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean Portobellos with a towel; remove stems and gills.
2. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan or grill pan. Add onion and cook at medium-low temperature for 6-8 minutes, or until onions are golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil. Season the Portobellos with salt and pepper to taste and brown for 1-2 minutes on each side. Once browned, remove from heat and slice lengthwise.
4. Using the same pan, add the remaining oil and lightly toast the bread halves on both sides.
5. In a small bowl, add the goat cheese, chipotle and honey, and mix well.
Assembling the sandwich:
6. Place 4 bread halves face up. Spread some of the cheese mixture on each half. Add a layer of spinach, followed by a layer of tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with the Portobello “fingers” and top with some sautéed onions. Spread more cheese mixture on the remaining bread halves and close the sandwiches.
Also of interest: Take the healthy cooking trivia quiz.
Next ArticleRead This