Photo by Marisa Zanganeh
Yields 4 portions
- 4 zucchinis, cut in half, lengthwise
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces lean ham, cut into medium dice (optional)
- ½ Spanish onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely cut
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 celery rib, rinsed and cut into medium dice
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (garnish)
1. Scoop out zucchini pulp until the halves are hollow, like “canoes.”
2. Brush olive oil on all sides of the zucchini and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Brush oil on a grooved pan and heat. Place zucchini on grooved pan and seal each side for approximately 2-3 minutes, until the zucchini is browned, yet crunchy. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook for one minute. Add garlic, peppers and celery, and sauté at medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add bread crumbs, mix and cook for one additional minute. Set aside.
5. Add ham to the same pan and sauté for 2 minutes and mix with vegetables (for vegetarian version, skip this step).
6. Fill the canoes and garnish with parsley.
You may also like: Main dish salad recipes.
Next ArticleRead This