Yields 4 servings
(Yields 2 cups)
- 2 cups scallions, chopped and packed down
- 3 coriander leaves
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- 7 thyme sprigs
- 1 habanero chile, seeded
- 6 sweet peppers
- 1 small red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- ½ ounce fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) aged rum
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) olive oil
- 4 pounds of chicken legs and thighs
- 4 lemons
See also: Caribbean Lasagna.
1. Place the first 12 ingredients in a blender and mix well.
2. Grind the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and salt in an electric coffee mill, food processor or mortar and pestle. Add to the blender and mix well.
1. Remove excess fat from chicken.
2. Wash chicken with the juice of two lemons and dry well with paper towels.
3. Place in a pan and cover with the juice of the two remaining lemons.
4. Soak the chicken in half of the sauce. Set aside the remaining sauce.
5. Cover chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 2 hours.
6. Heat grill to medium heat (350°F) and brush olive oil onto the hot grill.
7. Remove excess sauce from chicken and place chicken pieces on the grill.
8. Cook over direct heat, uncovered, for 6 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of chicken. (When chicken no longer sticks to grill, it’s ready to flip over.)
9. Once grill is turned off, transfer chicken to the other side of the grill so that it continues cooking, covered, over indirect heat. Brush with the remaining marinade periodically. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 170°F. Serve and enjoy.
Also of interest: Take the healthy cooking trivia quiz.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This