Grilling is usually for meats, but with their high fat content and cholesterol, they may not be ideal as the center of your diet. If you love that fresh-off-the-grill taste but want to stay healthy, these vegetarian recipes could be just what you've been looking for.
1) Oriental Tofu, Onion and Mushroom Kebabs by Antony Worrall Thompson: For an easy weeknight dinner, make this low-fat dish and serve with rice. Just marinate the tofu, onion and mushrooms, thread them onto skewers and grill. Dinner-on-a-stick always makes a fun main course for al fresco dining. Per serving: 242 calories, 8g fat, 28g carbohydrates
2) Grilled Fresh Figs on Rosemary Skewers by Marie Simmons: These easy grilled figs can be served in many ways: appetizer, sweet marinade or dessert. Rosemary stems serve as the skewers for the figs, making them visually appealing and sustainable. Per serving: 113 calories, 0g fat, 30g carbohydrates, 1g protein, 2g fiber
3) Grilled Wild Mushrooms, Radicchio and Sprouts Sandwich by Linda Zimmerman: Make lunch low-fat and delicious with this recipe. A great alternative to meat sandwiches, this sandwich is high in fiber and can be assembled easily on a cooler summer day. Try other toppings like fresh basil, tomatoes or spinach for even more nutrition and flavor. Per serving: 55 calories, 1g fat, 11g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 6g fiber
4) Southwestern Quinoa Tabbouleh by Crescent Dragonwagon: Spice things up with a colorful, high-fiber Southwestern dish. It can be made in under an hour and is great for picnics or potlucks, warm or cold. Jalepeño and poblano peppers add spice to this dish but are cooled by refreshing tomatoes, cilantro and corn. Per serving: 293 calories, 7g fat, 50g carbohydrates, 12g protein, 18g fiber
5) Smoky Eggplant Purée by Greg and Lucy Malouf: Try this great appetizer for a Mediterranean twist. Serve with thin flatbread as a dip, or even as a topping for a sandwich. The recipe calls for roasting the eggplant on an open stove flame, but grilling will likely achieve similar results. Per serving: 53 calories, 2g fat, 8g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 4g fiber