Easy Chicken and Garden Veggies
Prep Time Start to Finish: 35 minutes; 2 servings
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed (leave whole)
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium plum (Roma) tomato, cut lengthwise in half, then sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup fat-free balsamic vinaigrette dressing or fat-free Italian dressing
In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; keep warm.
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Place chicken in skillet. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until browned on both sides. Discard excess bacon drippings.
Add water and green beans to skillet. Cover; cook over medium-low heat 8 minutes. Stir in bell pepper. Cover; cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning and stirring vegetables occasionally, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170 degrees).
Stir in tomato and dressing. Cook uncovered about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomato is thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cooked bacon.
Tip for two: The plum tomatoes hold their shape when cooked briefly and don't add a lot of extra liquid to the vegetables. You can use frozen whole green beans instead of the fresh, if you like.
One Serving: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 840mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 6g); Protein 31g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 4 Very Lean Meat, 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2