SWEET AREPAS WITH COCONUT
Yields 10-12 portions
- 2 cups cornmeal (precooked cornmeal for arepas)
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seed
- ¼ cup sugar
- Kernels from one fresh ear of corn
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- ½ cup sweet coconut milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ounce butter
- ½ cup white cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add corn kernels.
- Heat evaporated milk, condensed milk and coconut milk with the butter and mix until warm and the sugar has dissolved. Slowly add milk mixture and sour cream to cornmeal and knead until obtaining a soft and uniform texture.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2-inch balls and pat flat until you obtain the classic shape of the arepa —approximately 2½ inches in diameter and a half-inch thick.
- Place arepas in a pan of boiling water, two at a time. They will be ready when they float to the surface. Serve topped with crumbled cheese and toasted coconut.