Yields: 6-8 servings
- 18 corn tortillas (6” diameter)
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut into quarters
- 2 scallions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cilantro sprig
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 Spanish onion
- 4 scallions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1½ teaspoons chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of leftover stock from the cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 roasted Poblano peppers, seeds removed, cut into strips
- 1½ cups (12 ounces) Mexican cream
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Oaxaca cheese, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, cut into small dice
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
1. Place tortillas in three metal trays, spacing them, and bake for 20-25 minutes until toasted. Remove from oven and set aside
2. In a large pot, add chicken, water, onion, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook partly covered for 30 minutes on medium heat. Remove chicken; let cool and shred. Set aside chicken and the broth in which it was cooked.
3. In a food processor, blend tomato, onion, scallion, garlic, chipotle and one cup of leftover broth.
4. In a large saucepan, heat one tablespoon canola oil at medium-low heat. Add tomato sauce and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside ½ cup of sauce.
5. Mix the remaining sauce with the chicken.
6. Spray a 13½” x 9½”x 2” glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place 6 tortillas in the dish, next to each other, slightly overlapping.
7. Spread one layer of chicken over the tortillas, followed by a layer of Mexican cream, one layer of Oaxaca cheese strips, and one layer of Poblano chile strips
8. Add a second layer of tortillas and repeat the previous step. Then add the six remaining tortillas, ½ cup of tomato sauce, and cheese. Press slightly with a spatula or any other flat utensil.
9. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and, right before serving, garnish with the diced avocado and cilantro.
You may also like: 10 recipes for a table of 1.