- 6 egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 tablespoon aged rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup (4 ounces) heavy cream
- ½ cup (4 ounces) whole milk
- 1½ cups (12 ounces) evaporated milk
8” round metal or glass baking pan
Preheat oven at 350° F
- For caramel: Place sugar and water in a heavy pan. Mix and cook at medium heat until sugar is dissolved and acquires a light amber color. Cover the bottom of the custard pan with caramel and set aside.
- Mix the first seven ingredients (six if you exclude the rum) in a blender. Add the heavy cream, whole milk and evaporated milk and continue mixing until an even consistency is reached.
- Strain this mixture through a sieve and pour into the caramel-coated pan.
- Place pan in a larger metal tray with ½” of water and bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes. The flan will be ready when an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Bring to room temperature before refrigerating. Cool overnight in the refrigerator or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Flip the flan out of the pan and onto a plate for serving.
You may also like: Almond pine nut cookie recipe.
Next ArticleRead This