En Español | Yields 4-6 portions
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely cut
- 3 garlic cloves, finely cut
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 120-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt and additional salt for the eggplants
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup (4 ounces) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely cut
- 2 cloves garlic, finely cut
- 11” x 8.5” x2”
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- Slice eggplants across into ½-inch slices. Place on a grill and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Dry well and place on a hot grill for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sauce preparation: Heat pan to medium heat. Add oil and onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add basil, canned diced tomato, tomato paste, paprika, salt and sugar and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Adjust seasoning.
- Mix together all the cheeses and set aside. Mix together all the topping ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with a light layer of sauce. Add a layer of eggplant followed by a layer of cheese. Add more sauce, another layer of eggplant, cheeses and more sauce. Finish with a layer of eggplant and cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 325° F for 40 minutes. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
You may also like: Everday Italian cooking made simple.
Next ArticleRead This