Adapted from Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi (Chronicle Books, 2011) by Yotam Ottolenghi
6 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
2 small onions, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1/2 fresh green chili pepper, sliced thin (optional)
2 small red peppers, cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
1 small parsnip, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
1 cup French beans, trimmed
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
1/2 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and black pepper
1 cup water
Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
1. Pour 4 tablespoons of the oil into a large, heavy casserole or stockpot and place it over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic, chili pepper (if you are using it), and the red peppers. Sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the squash and parsnip, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
3. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl, leaving as much oil in the pot as possible. Add the remaining oil. Add the beans, zucchini, and eggplant to the hot oil, and sauté them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Return the contents of the bowl to the pot. Add the potato, tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, then pour in enough of the water to half-cover the vegetables. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Taste the vegetables and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
5. Finally, preheat the oven to 400° F. Use a slotted spoon to gently lift the vegetables from the pot and into a large, deep roasting pan. Pour the liquid over the vegetables and place in the oven to cook for 30 minutes. At this point, the vegetables should be very soft and most of the liquid evaporated. Garnish with cilantro, if using, and serve.
Nutrients per serving:
484 calories, 13g protein, 64mg carbohydrates, 19g fiber, 23g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium
Next ArticleRead This