- 4–8 eggs
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 scallions, cut in thin slices
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, skinless and seedless, diced small
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seedless and deveined, diced small
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium-size pan at low-medium heat. Sauté scallions for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and jalapeños. Cook sauce uncovered for 5–7 minutes, stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat canola oil. Crack eggs and place in pan without breaking yolks. Cover and cook at low-medium heat for 4–5 minutes, or until egg whites are cooked and yolks are still soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm tortillas on a griddle or in a pan until golden brown. Or warm them in a microwave oven at medium heat for 30 seconds, covered with a moist paper towel.
- Cut avocado in half. Remove pit, peel and purée.
- Put two tortillas on each dish and spread with avocado purée. Place one egg over each tortilla. Top with sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro.