Roasted Garlic Asparagus With Rebecca Katz's Basil-Pistachio Pesto
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds thick asparagus, ends trimmed
- Coarse sea salt
- Basil-Pistachio Pesto (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. In a small skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, until the garlic just changes color and is aromatic.
3. Put the asparagus in a baking dish in a single layer. Drizzle with the garlic oil and season lightly with salt. Roast the asparagus for 8 to 9 minutes, until tender.
4. To serve: Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the pesto, reserving the other half for another use.
Nutrients per serving: 122 calories, 5g protein, 9g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
1. Combine the basil, pistachios, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until well blended. For a thinner pesto, add the water and briefly process again. (For this recipe, make sure your pesto is thin, as it will be drizzled over the asparagus.) Do a taste test; you may want to add a squeeze more lemon juice or a pinch more salt.
2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Nutrients per serving ( 2 tablespoons): 144 calories, 2g protein, 3g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium
Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Honey, Thyme and Ginger
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus 4 thyme sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, ginger, honey and thyme leaves. Toss or turn with a large spoon until the cubes are well coated.
3. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish. Roast about 40 minutes, stirring a couple of times to keep the cubes from sticking, until they are tender and slightly browned.
4. Serve garnished with the thyme sprigs.
Nutrients per serving: 245 calories, 2g protein, 38g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium
Blueberry-Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits
- 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate shavings
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Divide the strawberries among four glass tumblers. In each tumbler, add 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1/4 cup blueberries, the remaining yogurt, and 2 tablespoons each of the chocolate and walnuts.
2. Serve with coffee.
Nutrients per serving: 214 calories, 7g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium
This piece is adapted with permission from The Longevity Kitchen by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson (Ten Speed Press, 2013). Additional reporting by Monica Bhide.