- 2 pounds salted codfish
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 pound potatoes, unpeeled, cut in ¼-inch slices
- 2 pounds of assorted root vegetables, such as taro root (yautía), breadfruit (panapen), tania root (malanga), cassava (yuca), peeled and cut in ¼-inch slices
- 4 green plantains, peeled and cut in thin slices
- 1 large red onion, cut in very thin slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon, sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, sliced
- 4 tablespoons roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut in small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup low-fat yogurt, preferably Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
- Soak codfish overnight, drain and rinse 3 or 4 times to remove excess salt.
- Place codfish in a deep pan. Add 3 cups of water and 1 cup of milk, and cook at low heat for 20 minutes. Shred and remove any bones.
- Cook potatoes in lightly salted water at medium heat for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cook plantains in lightly salted water at medium heat for 10 minutes or until cooked but firm.
- Cook root vegetables in lightly salted water at medium heat for 12–14 minutes or until cooked but firm.
- Sauté onion in 3 tablespoons of olive oil at medium heat for 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar and mix. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil at medium heat. When oil starts to boil, add the garlic and remove pan from heat. Leave the garlic in the hot oil for an additional 30 seconds. Add the remaining vinegar.
- Add the shredded codfish, capers, pimento, olives, egg, onions and dressing. Mix well.
- Mix the avocado pulp and yogurt in a food processor until creamy.
- To serve, place a bottom layer of potatoes, followed by a layer of codfish, a layer of root vegetables, and another layer of codfish. Top with plantains. Cover with onions and the avocado mousse. Garnish with cilantro and drizzle with olive oil.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This