All-Purpose Mixed Herb Oil With Lemon and Garlic
Makes 1 generous cup
Toss this mixed herb oil in a salad, and drizzle it over seafood, poultry or meat. If you add 1/4 cup each of ground almonds or pine nuts and finely grated cheese, you'll have turned this oil into pesto.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups packed soft herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro, dill
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic cloves and toast them until spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Add them, along with herbs, chives, oil and lemon zest to a food processor; process until pureed. (Can be refrigerated in a lidded container for several weeks.)
Braised Cucumbers With Dill and Sour Cream
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
Place cucumbers, salt and 1/2 cup water in a large skillet. Cover pan and turn burner on high; steam until nearly all the water has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover pan and stir in garlic, sour cream and dill; continue to cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve.